BCCI was founded on July 15, 1994 by 40 Bulgarian chemical companies on a voluntary and professional basis. The companies, members of the BCCI operate in the following areas:
- Manufacture of refined petroleum and oil products;
- Manufacture of chemical products;
- Manufacture of rubber and plastics;
- Engineering and repair works, trade, services, etc.
The activity of the Bulgarian Chamber of Chemical Industry is in accordance with its target objectives and is based on:
- Integration and coordination of positions and interests of all members and their representation before state and local government authorities, social partners, other national and international organizations, including those of the EU;
- Organizing and conducting various activities, independently or jointly with other Bulgarian or EU institutions;
- Membership and participation in EU employers' organizations from the chemical industry.